Wednesday, July 29, 2009

What would you do if you weren't afraid?

I looked at this statement for a very long time. For a few minutes I became undecided of what should I answer to a very simple question.

I was speechless and hesitant but I can feel that my heart leaps for joy at the moment I read this phrase. I couldn't speak but I know that many things could be done if I don't feel the fears that have been oppressing me and blocking my way to happiness and satisfaction.

Last night, out of boredom, I read a book entitled "Who Moved My cheese?". I've been seeing that book for almost six months already but I never took time to open it until I finally decided to browse it while waiting for the proper time to sleep. And so I began reading it without thinking that I might be affected at the end.

The question that actually moved me was not the title of the book itself, but the question "What would you do if you weren't afraid?" on the latter part of the book. What would I do If I'm not afraid? What if I don't recognize the fears that I feel deep inside my veins when I want to do something? What hinders me to go for a change? The answers to these questions are still vague as of this moment.

Finally, out of desperation, I silently answered the question with full of courage. Maybe, I'd do everything that will make me happy. Maybe, I'd leave my job, my family, and forget all the people around me and focus on my dreams. Maybe, I'd shop and stroll the biggest malls until I get tired and drop out of stress. Maybe I'd drink until I throw up. Will that make me any better? I don't know. For a very short time, I feel ecstatic, but the fears came back and made me forget the things that I was imagining just a while ago. What are those things that I'm afraid of? I know. I am aware what those things are... but I cannot enumerate them all.... I am afraid. I am afraid not only because people would learn my weaknesses, but because I don't want to realize that i am already aware of the things that I want to forget and eventually eradicate from my life. I am afraid to recognize them. I am afraid to leave them.

If only I have the courage to do all, I would surely be the happiest person ever existed on earth. I may not execute all the actions that I've been planning for a very long time, but at least I know that i am capable of doing those.

According to the main character of the book, it will take a long process. It will take time and effort. First, you need to let go of your fears one by one. People cannot easily let go of the things that they get used to.Human nature. When you become familiarized with specific actions with certain persons, you would definitely have a hard time doing the same actions with different set of people or vice versa. Natural order of things. However, there are moments when people need to look for a change in order for them to grow and move on with their lives. It may sound strange that most people would stay in their comfort zones and keep on doing the same old things in exchange with the bright future ahead of them. Oftentimes, the comfort zone is the most dangerous place... but the fact that people become accustomed to its surrounding gives a great impact on their decision to stay regardless of the hardships that they experience on that pedestrian lane. Those people are coward... and i am one of them.


It's not proper to just stay quiet when you see that something is wrong and you are involved in whatever result may come up at the end. It's wrong to hide behind the closet and cry silently when you think people should hear your sentiments. It's okay to admit that you're hurting... that you're extremely sad... or that you're feeling bad about their actions. Sarcasm doesn't work all the time. It's okay to shout when you're mad, laugh when you're happy, and undress when you feel you want to be naked. Why do people always consider others' opinions?

Sometimes, you are being ignored despite your effort. They would not treat you fairly in spite of your determination to prove your worth. Reality bites.
If you feel you're no longer important, go!
If you're not valued, move!
If you're not loved, don't ask for affection, walk away!
It might be hard at first, but you will be the one to benefit at the end. Remember, it's their loss, not yours.

See? I know what to do, but I do not know where to start. Apparently, I've seen the solutions to these problems, I just don't want to start yet. Not now. I will wait for the right moment to come.

At the end of that reading, I learned that it's okay to take a risk.... it's okay to look for a change. Sometimes, taking risks is more worthy than the memories that the comfort zones provide for those people who have been imprisoned there for seemingly million years.


"What would you do if you weren't afraid?"

I WOULD RUN AWAY.....